Under general supervision of the Skilled Maintenance Supervisor, maintain the chemical balance of, operate, and care for the college's two swimming pools and related equipment; clean and maintain the pool and deck area in an orderly condition; and to perform other related duties as required.
The Pool Attendant class is distinguished from other classes in the maintenance series in that incumbents are required to be knowledgeable in the maintenance of and chemical balance of large collegiate swimming pools; must have knowledge of and the ability to use underwater diving gear and breathing apparatus safely.
The incumbent in this position promotes institutional effectiveness by ensuring that District Aquatic Facilities are maintained in a safe and clean working condition for all students, faculty, staff, and the community.
Essential Functions & Qualifications
* Monitor and evaluate data, calibrate/program electronic and chemical sensing equipment; * Interpret data received from electronic and chemical sensing equipment and records; * Physically test pool water by taking a sample and subjecting it to titration and colormetric techniques to determine its properties, and interpret and record results; * Coordinate response to data received from physical and electronic monitoring methods; * Monitor, calibrate, program, and maintain electronically controlled chemical dispensing systems; * Collect and calculate data for the Langlier index and record; * Interpret findings of Langlier index and adjust water chemistry to desired parameters as indicated; * Monitor pool water filtration systems and records; * Order chemicals and materials as needed; * Replace 150# bottles of chlorine gas with full ones as needed on automatic chlorine injection system; * Re-charge sodium carbonate automatic injection systems as needed; * Record and evaluate reports on the day-to-day operation of two swimming pools; * Maintain daily pool log for health department; * Coordinate maintenance, repair and health requirements with on-going academic and recreation programs; * Back wash pool filters as needed; * Repair or replace broken equipment; * Vacuum, brush, and scrub bottom and sides of pools; * Sweep and wash down decks and seating areas around swimming pools; * Set-up necessary equipment for programs and events as needed; * Remove and install pool cover blankets as needed; * Clean shower and drinking fountains; * Compute weights, measures, and percentages; * Operate and maintain pools and related equipment in accordance with prescribed standards; * Maintain schedules required for proper pool maintenance; * Scuba dive; * Work underwater for extended periods of time using breathing apparatus; * Read, interpret and record pool chemistry; and * Perform other related duties as required.
* Equivalent to graduation from twelfth grade.
* Associate's degree.
* One year of experience in pool operation or custodial work involving procedures and equipment similar to those used in pool operations, including operation of pumps, motors, filter systems, and other mechanical equipment.
* Pool chemicals and their use; * Materials, equipment, terminology, and methods used in pool maintenance; * Standard swimming pool safety precautions; * First aid and lifesaving techniques; * Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus and diving gear; * Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software; * Correct usage of English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary; and * District policies and procedures.
* Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties; and * Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
Physical ability to:
* See for the purpose of reading laws and codes, rules and policies, and other printed matter; * Hear and understand speech at normal levels; * Understand and carry out oral and written directions; * Read and comprehend printed matter and text and data on computer monitors; * Communicate intelligibly and effectively via speech, telephone, written correspondence, and/or email; * Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation; * Sit or stand for extended periods of time; * Bend and twist, push and pull, stoop, kneel, crawl; * Reach in all directions; * Work at heights; * Ascend and descend ladder; * Work safely, following OSHA and district policies, maintain a safe work space, and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); and * Lift 100 pounds and/or carry 50 pounds.
License and Certificates (current within the last year or must be continuously current):
* Standard First Aid; * Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR); * Possess a valid Certified Pool Operator certificate, or the ability to obtain within 6 months; * Possess a valid Scuba Diving Certificate, or the ability to obtain within 6 months; and * Valid driver's license and eligible to obtain California driver's license upon hire.
Required Documents: Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, reference list, CPR and First Aid certificates and diversity statement when applying for this position.
Diversity Statement Instructions: Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community.
In 500 words or less, with consideration to our Mission Statement and our values expressed above, please explain how you will demonstrate your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in this position.
Completed applications and supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District (\"Cuesta College\") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1035, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address:
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be required to attend an oral interview.
Associated topics: aide, condo, hotel, laundry attendant, maintenance, planchador de lavanderia, planchadores tintoreria y lavanderia, room attendant, suite attendant, turndown service
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.